Is a Loose Dental Implant an Emergency: Guide
Introduction to Dental Implants
Dental implantation is a process in which artificial tooth is placed in the place of empty gap. It surgical placement of titanium post Into the jawbone, serving as artificial tooth root. This implant is crowned with the artificial tooth, that actually look like real teeth. It is not like traditional dental bridge, it provides stability and stronger base to the tooth. It improve the chewing process in the oral cavity. Their design is created in such a way that they look like and function like real tooth.
Importance of Implant stability
Dental Implant stability is one of the main factor, that ensure the success and long lifetime of dental implants. It is important to achieve optimal stability during healing process. The implant base is fused with the jawbone and this process is known as Osseointegration. It provides solid foundation to the dental implant crown. The implant stability is ensured when the chewing is done without any movement in the implant. If there is no proper stability then it will cause discomfort and pain. Complete stability is very important for optimal working of dental implants.
Loose Dental Implant
Parameters to consider a dental implant loose, when it exhibit instability and movement beyond the safe range. Slight movement during the initial healing stage or initial osseointegration process can lead to instability in the dental implant. This will cause weaker fusion with the jawbone leading to loose implanted tooth.
Symptoms of Loose Dental Implant
Patient facing loose dental implant, encounter wide range of symptoms indicating instability in the implant. Some of the important symptoms are discussed below.
Instability or loose implant will face wobbling or shifting. The crown will move slightly indicating in stability.
Redness in gums
Infection in dental implant will cause redness, swelling and irritation in gums. This is one of the most important sign of loose dental implant.
The patient will feel pain, when he will chew food. This will indicate loose dental implant.
Changes in bite
Patient will feel change in the bite, the upper and lower jaw teeth will not fit perfectly. This is all due to instability of dental implant.
Misaligned Dental Implant
When dental implant is loose, it will not aligned properly. It will be tilted on the either side.
Patient will feel sensitivity in his teeth, such as hot cold etc. Unusual sensations are also indication of loose dental implant.
Causes of Loose Dental Implant
Some of the most important causes of dental implant are discussed below.
Failed osseointegration between the implant and jawbone is one of the major cause of osseointegration. This is essential process in which the titanium base is fused with the jawbone plays important part in the stability of dental implant. If the fusion is not proper it will cause loose dental implant. Factors that effect osseointegration are discussed below.
- Bone quality
- Poor diet
- Improper implant placement
- Smoking and alcohol
- Inadequate healing time
- Some medical conditions
Inflammation of Implants
Inflammation of the implants is known as Peri-implantitis. It is very destructive condition in which surrounding of Implant are inflamed. One of the major cause of inflammation is bacterial invasion causing loose dental implant. The patient with such condition feel redness and inflammation in the gums.
Is a Loose Dental Implant an Emergency?
Factors to Consider it Emergency
Some of the factors that ensure to consider dental implant an emergency are discussed below.
- The severity if instability of dental implant determines, if it is emergency or minor issue. A small movement is not urgent as compared to a larger movement.
- The severity of pain and discomfort determine the urgency of the dental implant issue. If patient is facing severe pain then it is an emergency case. Doctor should be contacted without delay in that case.
- Loose dental implant will be an emergency case if there is severe infection, swelling and redness in the gums.
- If it is a newly implanted tooth then proper care is required yo avoid any emergency situation.
Importance of Dental Care
Dental care is very important specially, after dental implant to avoid any emergency. Some of the key points are discussed in detail.
- Early care of dental implant site can prevent from emergency cases. Proper oral health and following guidelines of your doctor are most important in preventing emergency situations.
- It is better to take medication on its proper time to avoid pain and infection. This will prevent emergency and leads to proper healing process.
- Proper care will help to restore dental implant stability, it is most important for proper functioning of the dental implant.
- By taking care on accurate time, you can protect your investment. As, dental implants require a lot of investment and it is very important to give proper time to your dental implant care during post operative days.
- Try to minimize movement of the dental implant during the initial phase of recovery. This is done to prevent any kind of instability of the artificial tooth.
In this article, we have covered information related to topic “is loose dental implant an emergency”. Discussed Various Aspect which can clear vision related to this topic.
- Dental Implant is an artificial tooth that is screwed in the empty space present between two teeth. The titanium post is allowed to fuse with the jawbone, this will provide stability to implanted tooth.
- If the fusion is not proper enough, it will cause movement in the dental implant this is called loose dental implant.
- Some signs of loose dental implant are wobbling, swelling in gums, movement, irritation and infection in the gums.
- One of the main cause is incomplete fusion between dental implant and jawbone.
- The level of emergency depends on various factors like severity of pain, infection and impairment of functioning.
How to deal with loose dental implant
Some of the main factors are discussed below to deal with Loose dental implant.
- Preventive complications and give proper attention to dental implant during early healing stage.
- Take proper medication to avoid such emergencies.
- Minimize movement in early stages of healing.
- Protect your investment by providing proper care to implant.
- Avoid bad habits until proper functioning is restored.