Osseous Surgery Side effects: detailed note
What is osseous surgery
Osseous surgery is a procedure which is used to treat diseases related to gums or periodontitis, Which effect does sporting structure of the tooth roots and the bone. Osseous surgery is also known as periodontal flap surgery. The main purpose of this surgery is to access the roots of the teeth and remove the infection and bacterial accumulation from that part. This process is done by dental specialist, who is expert in gums surgery.
Purpose of osseous surgery
The main and the primary function to perform the osseous surgery is to Remove the in infected part of the gums or any bacterial accumulation, This can prevent the further damage to the teeth and supporting tissues. This can help to prevent tooth mobility, bone loss and any further infection that can cause discomfort to the patient.
Additionally, treating gum disease can enhance your overall appearance of smile and can boost your confidence level. Osseous surgery promote both oral health and systemic health by Solving the root cause of gum disease.
Side effects of Osseous Surgery
Some of the common side effects that appear in the result of osseous surgery are discussed below.
Pain and discomfort
After going through what’s your surgery it is for sure there the patient goes from some extent of pain and discomfort. The extent of pain vary from person to person from mild to severe depending upon the patient. This pain and discomfort is mainly arise from the changes that occur in the gums tissues and the supporting bone. To wide such pain and discomfort during the postoperative care, professional dentists prescribed painkillers.
Swelling and bruising
Swelling and bruising at the side of surgery is a natural response of body to any type of surgery. These are at the peak during the first week after the surgery, but as the time passes and the wound is cared properly swelling and bruising reduces eventually. Both are resolved with the passage of time if proper oral hygiene is maintained.
Bleeding is very common in any type of surgery, In osseous surgery patient faces bleeding at its early stage for two to three days. Gauze is placed on the surgical site and press gently to stop bleeding. In some cases hematoma is formed that can lead to swelling and can cause severe discomfort. if hematoma is formed then it is better to consult professional expert as soon as possible.
Issues related to infection and wound healing
Postoperative care please major role in the success of osseous surgery. Wound healing and infection are the major side effects that can delay the process of healing after completion of osseous surgery. If your surgical site shows any signs of infection and delayed healing process, It is better to contact your dental expert as soon as possible. Because it can put harmful effects on your surgical site.
How to prevent from side effects
Some of the major guidelines that are necessary to follow, if you want to avoid the side effects of osseous surgery.
Follow Post operative care instructions
After the completion of osseous surgery it is very important to stick to the guidelines provided by the professional expert. To manage these side effects dentists provide proper instructions to their patients, some of them are discussed below.
- Avoid harsh hygienic practices and follow gentle hygienic practices.
- Avoid some specific foods and drinks like alcohol, acidic food, sugary food and any hard food.
- Take the prescribed medicine properly as guided by the doctor.
- it is very important for patient to regularly visit the doctor’s place so that he can monitor the healing process.
Strategies to manage pain
During the healing process of osseous surgery, pain is one of the most common factors that every patient faces. To manage pain and stress, Different medicines are prescribed by the doctor. Patient should follow the prescribed medication routine. To over counter pain ibuprofen and chloramphenicol is mostly prescribed by the doctors. Managing the time of taking medicine is very important to get the best result from medication procedure.
How to reduce swelling and bruises
To reduce swelling and bruises follow the following guidelines.
- Apply ice packs around the area outside of the mouth where surgery is performed.
- While sleeping keep your head elevated, this will this will not allow the higher blood flow into your head side.
- Avoid any kind of hard physical activity, because it can pump your blood flow and that can cause bleeding form your surgical site.
How to prevent infection
After the completion of the osseous surgery it is very important to keep your surgical site infection free during the post operative. For this purpose specific guidelines are provided by the doctor to their patients. Some of them are enlisted below.
- Take the prescribed antibiotics and painkillers on their time as guided by the doctor.
- Avoid food that is hard and cause damage to your surgical site. Also avoid alcohol and smoking during the healing stages.
- it is very important to keep your oral hygiene at its top level. Avoid vigorous and hard cleaning of teeth, clean your take gently which soft brushes.
- Always follow the soft and healthy diet that is very beneficial for your postoperative healing procedure.
Role of patient to minimize the side effects
Patient is one of the main factors that can minimize or maximize the chances of side effects. it is very important for patients to follow the guidelines of the doctor to minimize the side effects of osseous surgery. Patients should adhere themselves to that guidelines provided by the doctors.
- Follow the postoperative steps as guided by the doctors.
- Regular checkups are very important to minimize the side effect osseous surgery.
- It is very important to maintain the optimum oral hygiene by following postoperative hygienic measures.
- Proper diet is very important for the patient to minimize the side effects that can occur after surgery.
Maintaining oral hygiene
Maintaining oral hygiene is one of the key factors that can help in minimizing the side effects of osseous surgery. it is very important for patients to follow the complete oral hygiene instructions that are provided by the dental expert.
Reporting unusual symptoms
To minimize the side effects, it is very important for patients to report the unusual symptoms as soon as possible if noticed. Delay in reporting can cause huge damage to the surgical site. Symptoms that should be reported as soon as possible or given below.
- if unusual pain or swelling is felt it should be reported as soon as possible.
- Any signs of fever, pus or infection should be reported without delay.
- Any unexpected changes in oral health should be reported as soon as possible.